Skip to main content

Oh, He's Good...

God kills me.

The ways He goes about things sometimes just shocks me with the hilarity of it all. My sweet friend, Jamie had requested a "real" post (apparently what I previously posted doesn't count!) and I was sitting here thinking, wondering, was there anything for me to really write about?! I've felt kind of sick all day - should I write about that? I don't even want to write it - who wants to read it?!

Then I started pondering a devotional I got in my inbox this morning from Truth for Life about how we shouldn't be sleepy Christians. How we need to be talking of God's goodness and faithfulness to one another. I mean, wouldn't it help as you walked along the narrow way if you talked about the narrow way and the reasons + benefits of it all? So, I briefly considered elaborating on the devotional and then I went to see what the Bible verse of the day was over at BibleGateway.com and guess what it was?

"These commandments that I give you today
are to be upon your hearts.
Impress them on your children.
Talk about them when you sit at home
and when you walk along the road,
when you lie down and when you get up.
Tie them as symbols on your hands
and bind them on your foreheads.
Write them on the doorframes
of your houses and on your gates."
~ Deuteronomy 6:6-9

I had to smile. When God has a point to make, He makes it.

On Sunday my brain went to this passage of scripture when our Small Group leader was speaking of some plaques he has in his office that have Biblical quotes on them - and how much that affects his mood, speech, day. And the above scripture came to mind. It's true. It's so much easier to focus and to think "holy things" when they are right before your eyes. It's why I have been known to tape Bible verses to my steering wheel, my bathroom mirror and my fridge. If it is in the forefront of my face, it becomes the forefront of my mind. Of my heart.

We have little things around our home that state sentiments such as: "Love Begins at Home" and "With Love, Miracles Happen"... Something I've been thinking on for awhile is how much more scripture I want to be visible in our home. Even just seeing those little romantic quotes scattered around make me think of Aaron and our wedding day, of our dating days, of how much I love him and am grateful to be his wife. How much more would (should) scripture be doing that to my heart? Shouldn't I have my "favorite" verses where I can smile when I see them and think back on God's love? On my relationship with Him?

And if my eyes were on His word, my heart soaking in His wisdom - would not my speech be different? Wouldn't it change my day? What if it changed someone else's? What if I followed scripture by obeying scripture by placing it in front of my very eyes? Would the walk not be better? The load lighter? And how awesome to know that God knows we need the visual reminder. That He commands us to put it before us - because He knows we're going to work better that way. It's kind of like a massive, "Duh!" Of course He knows we're that way. But how amazing that He considers our weakness and our inability to just "walk the walk" 24/7. He knows we're mini-trainwrecks. That's why He says, "Here. Put these where you can focus and be reminded."

I don't know about you, but I want to do more than sleep-walk through faith.

"The Christian faith has not been tried and found wanting.
Rather, it has been found difficult and left untried.”
~ G.K. Chesterton

Comments

  1. Yes. I agree to everything. I've thought about this before...Cody and I have talked about stenciling some scripture onto the wall like above our front door or something cool. How neat would that be?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that quote from Chesterton. It's one of Brad's favorites - and isn't it so true?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jamie - It makes me think of that wall thingy your friend, Caitlyn (sp?) has... That's what I want at our house - reminders of the goodness of God!!

    Lauren - It's one of my favorites, too! I knew I liked that boy!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

{ I've Heard the Whisper ... }

Nobody likes to sit in the dark.
That’s what I tell him as I flip on the light so he can clearly see his granola bar, handful of Froot Loops and his Star Wars vitamins.
No one wants darkness.  It’s heavy and depressing.  Oppressing. It feels sneaky and devious. It can feel scary and hopeless.  It’s a wet blanket on the warm fire of a sun-filled day. It snuffs out all the hope and brilliance, ideas and dreams, that you had during the day. In the dark it all shifts. It all feels worn and tired, old and pointless; you feel lost in a forest of trees with eyes and faces and arms and you wonder why you ever thought you could find your way out or change the world.
The darkness can be such a storyteller of lies.
The darkness can be such a sanctuary for the Teller of all the lies. 
And the darkness can be banished... just. like. that.
“Let there be light.”

God proved in the very beginning, before elephants and man and oceans and babies... He proved first that beyond creating, beyond teaching leaves …

Your Love is Fierce...

I was so angry. So painfully, gut-wrenchingly, angry.
I didn’t know that’s what it was.
January was exhausting, sickly, draining. It clipped fast on the heels of December and holidays and before I knew it, what should have been a day to celebrate my beautiful niece, was a reminder that she wasn’t here. And I was a mess all day. Cried about everything. I had a purple heart on the calendar and I was destroyed.
I went to choir practice the following Wednesday. I usually always want to go. This week, I didn’t. I felt shattered and exposed and I knew that any song, every song, would set me off. I knew I needed to go, something deep in my spirit knew, but I was so apprehensive. One chorus. One bridge. One well-meaning repeat and I would be undone. I had been breaking and re-breaking in a thousand different ways since October. I was falling apart in every direction.
I had to leave during practice once that night. Went into the ladies room and sobbed so loud, before I could stop myself. My grief …

{ IT'S YOUR BREATH IN OUR LUNGS }

I've been encouraged to write. Challenged. Read it on pages and in between lines. Heard it in a song. Write, write, write. The ones who know me so well... they tell me. "Where are you? Why aren't you doing this thing that you were given to do?" And... I don't know. I've got kids, man. I've got responsibilities and stuffed calendars and I just sometimes want to sit in my comfy pants and eat Starburst Jellybeans and binge on a favorite show. Sometimes... a lot of times... I think: what could I possibly have to offer? I can't even get caught up on laundry. I feel like I'm kind of a mess. There's not much inspirational about that.

But, I'll admit... when it's quiet? When I have space to hear the strum of my heart and the pounding of dreams racing through my head, like the agile feet of a runner, Reebok's smacking the asphalt? I feel it. I feel it right now. My spirit is knocking on a door I keep on locking up. Oh sure, pull the laptop o…