Skip to main content

She's Too Big, Now She's Too Thin...

I've had some thoughts rolling around in my brain like marbles for awhile now. And all the noise up there is making me crazy over here, so I figured it was time to just take a few and get it all out. For starters, I woke up at 5 a.m. this morning with a Britney Spears song making rounds through my head. Unfortunately I only know a little of the chorus from memory, which means I heard the same few snatches over and over and over...

Please tell me I'm not the only one who is somehow entranced by the lifestyles of the rich and famous. Sometimes I intentionally choose the longest line at Walmart I can find to wait in, so that I will have plenty of time to flip through People and see how many kids Brad and Angelina have now or which celeb-mom just dropped all her baby weight faster than anyone in the history of man. I'm a sucker. I'll admit it.

My thoughts concerning our obsessive and oftentimes cruel treatment of celebrities came to a head a few weeks ago when Jessica Simpson was ousted because she had gained some weight. Raise your hand if you've ever gained weight. Now raise your hand if you would have loved for the entire world to post the most unflattering pictures of you everywhere. I'm pretty sure that the majority of us do everything possible to 1) take a good picture and 2) burn a bad one if it ever even thinks of materializing.

I believe we have good reason to be ashamed of ourselves. Who do we think we are? Who do we think they are? Because they are in the public eye, does that mean it's fair treatment? Don't we tend to think that since they are famous, they are somehow bringing this upon themselves? Just because you can justify everything from here to eternity, doesn't mean you're right. Justification doesn't equal truth.

I've found myself more and more disgusted while reading stories that involve beautiful, talented people getting called out because of a weight-gain or a break-up or even a zit. Oh, come on! We are a nation filled to the brim with luxuries and freedoms and what do we do? Point fingers. Tack on labels. Slander. Maybe if we knocked ourselves down a few pegs we'd stop thinking we have the right to determine who is too fat or too skinny. Should it really ever be any of our business? Our concern? I'm pretty sure we have a higher calling than being so stinking shallow.

I heard this song a month+ ago on the radio and it made me check myself:


Britney, I'm sorry for the lies we told
We took you into our arms and then left you cold
Britney, I'm sorry for this cruel cruel world
We sell the beauty but destroy the girl
Britney, I'm sorry for your broken heart
We stood aside and watched you fall apart
I'm sorry we told you fame would fill you up
and money moves the man, so drink the cup

Britney, I'm sorry for the stones we throw
We tear you down just so we can watch the show
Britney, I'm sorry for the words we say
We point the finger as you fall from grace

Britney, I do believe that love has come
here for the broken,
here for the ones like us

I know love goes around the world we know
and you never see it coming back
you never see it coming back
and I know love goes around the world we know
and you never see it coming back
but I can see it coming back for you

It's coming back for you...
~ Bebo Norman, "Britney"



Sobering, isn't it? The Britney Spears song I have had in my head the past few days is called, "Piece of Me". Every time I hear it, I feel like writing her an apology, sort of like Bebo did in his song I just listed. What are we doing to each other? And it's not limited to the glitz and glamour far, far away. It's here. It's in our homes, it's in our churches, in our offices, in our dorms. We're so insecure and we are so incredibly unfair and quick to judge. We should be ashamed - and that should press us forward to a higher standard and a deeper calling. It should push us towards acting, speaking and treating others differently.

Choose a different way. If not, in the end you are really only detroying yourself.


"Don't be selfish; don't try to impress others. Be humble, thinking of others as better than yourselves. Don't look out only for your own interests, but take an interest in others, too. You must have the same attitude that Christ Jesus had."
~ Philippians 2:3-4

Comments

  1. I agree. This song came on Air 1 recently and I loved it. I wanted to give her a hug.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

{ I've Heard the Whisper ... }

Nobody likes to sit in the dark.
That’s what I tell him as I flip on the light so he can clearly see his granola bar, handful of Froot Loops and his Star Wars vitamins.
No one wants darkness.  It’s heavy and depressing.  Oppressing. It feels sneaky and devious. It can feel scary and hopeless.  It’s a wet blanket on the warm fire of a sun-filled day. It snuffs out all the hope and brilliance, ideas and dreams, that you had during the day. In the dark it all shifts. It all feels worn and tired, old and pointless; you feel lost in a forest of trees with eyes and faces and arms and you wonder why you ever thought you could find your way out or change the world.
The darkness can be such a storyteller of lies.
The darkness can be such a sanctuary for the Teller of all the lies. 
And the darkness can be banished... just. like. that.
“Let there be light.”

God proved in the very beginning, before elephants and man and oceans and babies... He proved first that beyond creating, beyond teaching leaves …

Tale as old as time: a different sort of review...

Is there any more beautiful notes than the first few tones of the dramatic prologue to Beauty and the Beast? When Disney released its animated version in 1991, my little ten year old heart was completely enraptured. Enchanted. I am never not moved by the overview of the roses, the squinting through brambles to see the castle aching and looming large against the sky.

Last night I swung by RedBox and picked up the newest version, since I'm like the only person on the planet who hasn't seen it, yet. I was ready for some uninterrupted girl time - just me and my mini Ben & Jerry's. I couldn't get the kids to bed fast enough (which is ironic, because I allowed them to stay up later than normal - the things we do as mothers that never make sense to anyone). I had my evening planned out and suddenly I had unending patience and energy. Funny how self-care works.

I settled deeper into my couch, held the ice cream close and got ready for an evening free of thinking and lists …

Your Love is Fierce...

I was so angry. So painfully, gut-wrenchingly, angry.
I didn’t know that’s what it was.
January was exhausting, sickly, draining. It clipped fast on the heels of December and holidays and before I knew it, what should have been a day to celebrate my beautiful niece, was a reminder that she wasn’t here. And I was a mess all day. Cried about everything. I had a purple heart on the calendar and I was destroyed.
I went to choir practice the following Wednesday. I usually always want to go. This week, I didn’t. I felt shattered and exposed and I knew that any song, every song, would set me off. I knew I needed to go, something deep in my spirit knew, but I was so apprehensive. One chorus. One bridge. One well-meaning repeat and I would be undone. I had been breaking and re-breaking in a thousand different ways since October. I was falling apart in every direction.
I had to leave during practice once that night. Went into the ladies room and sobbed so loud, before I could stop myself. My grief …