Skip to main content

Hear me...

There is nothing wrong with a frozen pizza.  Honestly, there just isn’t.  Get over the guilt, visit the frozen food section of your local grocer and go hog wild.  Okay, maybe not hog wild, but once in awhile, it’s okay to “cheat”.  Tonight I gleefully served up a pizza from the freezer to my husband and he was as happy as could be.  We are partial to Tombstone’s Garlic Bread Crust variety (and the price puts the Pizza Hut delivery boy to shame!) and it was the perfect accompaniment to an evening full of Friday night football watching.

So, I hereby release you from the confines of June Cleaver’s apron strings.

I am not yet so accomplished that I can pull five random ingredients, throw them in a pan and make my husband cry tears of thankfulness and inspire accolades from our neighbors.  Yet.  My mother, after nearly 30 years of marriage is one of these rare individuals and I have high hopes for my own future abilities.  Mother began her married life with a cook book entitled, “How to Boil Water” and look how far she has come?  

In the early years she made so many meals of Tuna Noodle Casserole that to this day my Dad will no longer touch it with a ten foot pole.  And I remember the salmon patties we were frequently served.  I hated salmon patties.  I will never serve salmon patties.  Ever.  I believe even June would approve of this.  So, if my own Mother can come from such humble beginnings, then so can I.  You’ll see.  I’ve already (nearly) mastered the ultimate pie crust, so I am well on my way.  And for the record, Mother still can’t make a decent pie crust (ring her up, she’ll tell you.)  

Speaking of being well on my way to super homemaker-dom, if you’re good, I will share with you the delectable and impressive looking, Lemon Cheese Braid in an upcoming post.  Trust me, you can do it.  I wouldn’t lie to you!

Until next time, stay classy, stay true and give yourself permission to let go of perfection and buy a frozen pizza once in a blue moon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

{ I've Heard the Whisper ... }

Nobody likes to sit in the dark.
That’s what I tell him as I flip on the light so he can clearly see his granola bar, handful of Froot Loops and his Star Wars vitamins.
No one wants darkness.  It’s heavy and depressing.  Oppressing. It feels sneaky and devious. It can feel scary and hopeless.  It’s a wet blanket on the warm fire of a sun-filled day. It snuffs out all the hope and brilliance, ideas and dreams, that you had during the day. In the dark it all shifts. It all feels worn and tired, old and pointless; you feel lost in a forest of trees with eyes and faces and arms and you wonder why you ever thought you could find your way out or change the world.
The darkness can be such a storyteller of lies.
The darkness can be such a sanctuary for the Teller of all the lies. 
And the darkness can be banished... just. like. that.
“Let there be light.”

God proved in the very beginning, before elephants and man and oceans and babies... He proved first that beyond creating, beyond teaching leaves …

Your Love is Fierce...

I was so angry. So painfully, gut-wrenchingly, angry.
I didn’t know that’s what it was.
January was exhausting, sickly, draining. It clipped fast on the heels of December and holidays and before I knew it, what should have been a day to celebrate my beautiful niece, was a reminder that she wasn’t here. And I was a mess all day. Cried about everything. I had a purple heart on the calendar and I was destroyed.
I went to choir practice the following Wednesday. I usually always want to go. This week, I didn’t. I felt shattered and exposed and I knew that any song, every song, would set me off. I knew I needed to go, something deep in my spirit knew, but I was so apprehensive. One chorus. One bridge. One well-meaning repeat and I would be undone. I had been breaking and re-breaking in a thousand different ways since October. I was falling apart in every direction.
I had to leave during practice once that night. Went into the ladies room and sobbed so loud, before I could stop myself. My grief …

{ IT'S YOUR BREATH IN OUR LUNGS }

I've been encouraged to write. Challenged. Read it on pages and in between lines. Heard it in a song. Write, write, write. The ones who know me so well... they tell me. "Where are you? Why aren't you doing this thing that you were given to do?" And... I don't know. I've got kids, man. I've got responsibilities and stuffed calendars and I just sometimes want to sit in my comfy pants and eat Starburst Jellybeans and binge on a favorite show. Sometimes... a lot of times... I think: what could I possibly have to offer? I can't even get caught up on laundry. I feel like I'm kind of a mess. There's not much inspirational about that.

But, I'll admit... when it's quiet? When I have space to hear the strum of my heart and the pounding of dreams racing through my head, like the agile feet of a runner, Reebok's smacking the asphalt? I feel it. I feel it right now. My spirit is knocking on a door I keep on locking up. Oh sure, pull the laptop o…