Skip to main content

This, that and the other...

I had forgotten how much I love Little Debbie Christmas cakes, but then I impulse-bought a box this afternoon and remembered.  The only downside?  They are packaged in sets of two, which means I am faced with this great dilema every time I meander over to the pantry:  do I consume both of them myself, in a fit of utter delight and gluttony?  But if I do, how do I handle the pesky obligatory feeling to share one of them with my husband?  Why can't some things just be easy?!

On other notes, I think it's completely wrong to be wide awake at 3 a.m. nearly every morning.  My friend, Shauna, informed me that she feels pregnancy-insomnia is God's way of preparing us women for all the sleep we will lose out on once the baby arrives.  I keep trying to remember that and am searching for a way to be thankful for the preparation.  I'm a pretty optimistic person, but trying to be "happy" that I'm all alert and thoughtful when I should be unconscious is proving to be a stretch even for me.

Speaking of pregnancy, I am nearing the end of the 2nd Trimester and I'm starting to feel as big as a barn.  In reality, I know that I'm not, but physically I feel like an Oompa Loompa.  When we made a quick stop at the store yesterday so I could pick up garlic bread and milk, I was very aware that for the first time I was actually waddling... not walking... waddling.  Oh gosh.

And for the record, I'm not complaining about being pregnant.  I'm thankful off my gourd that we're expecting this little guy!  It seems, however, that there is this stigma that, when pregnant, you're not allowed to say what hurts or what's annoying or what's wearing you down, for fear that someone will snap back with, "Well, at least you're pregnant!"  I feel very grateful and very blessed that I have had a very happy, healthy and safe pregnancy up to this point.  But that doesn't mean I'm not tired, that my back doesn't ache, that I can't get into a comfortable position to sleep in and stay asleep in, or that I don't miss eating bleu cheese crumbles on my chicken, ranch, and guacamole wrap.

I was chatting with a friend along this topic of pregnancy, babies and people's responses the other day and I think there is a lot you deal with pre-baby's arrival that helps you mature in that "mama bear" quality.  From the start you get responses to your every action, such as, "You're announcing it now that you're pregnant?  Isn't it a little early?" or "You turned down the swine flu vaccine?!"  Everything comes under scrutiny, from your own plans for labor to why or why not you're planning on home schooling, why or why not about this or or or or or.  And you start learning to stick to your guns, to be protective of your little cub.  Someone may or may not agree, but that doesn't mean we're not right in what we're doing, planning, etc. for our child.  

I hope I don't sound as angsty as I think I do.  If so, it's only because my clock is saying 3:30 a.m..... surely you'll forgive me.

On non-pregnancy notes (did someone just say, "Finally?!") I love how the Christmas season brings out the best in everyone (you can't tell, but I'm being sarcastic.).  Yesterday, while in the midst of a good deed for a perfect stranger, another perfect stranger had to get her tail feathers all ruffled up and flounce by us with a none-too-subtle, "Ohgoodgrief!"  My immediate response was to smack her, but I refrained.  

I can understand being irritated... it's happened to me a few times.  I guess I'm always surprised when Mr. Nasty rears his ugly head, especially in public and especially when it's a grown adult.  I always end up thinking, "Shouldn't they know better?!"  But then, of course, this leads me to internally wondering about the moments when I surely should have "known better" but did quite the opposite.  And I always come away from such an experience hoping that if/when I am faced with a similar opportunity to offer either a curse or a blessing,  that I offer the latter.  But maybe that's just me.

There.  I guess that's all I have at this hour.  I'm going to attempt to crawl back into bed and am hoping for visions of sugar plums to dance in my head... And if not, well, there's always sleep to be had somewhere else down the road.... I think.  I hope.

"Not being able to sleep is terrible.
You have the misery of having partied 
all night... without the satisfaction."
~ Lynn Johnston

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

{ I've Heard the Whisper ... }

Nobody likes to sit in the dark.
That’s what I tell him as I flip on the light so he can clearly see his granola bar, handful of Froot Loops and his Star Wars vitamins.
No one wants darkness.  It’s heavy and depressing.  Oppressing. It feels sneaky and devious. It can feel scary and hopeless.  It’s a wet blanket on the warm fire of a sun-filled day. It snuffs out all the hope and brilliance, ideas and dreams, that you had during the day. In the dark it all shifts. It all feels worn and tired, old and pointless; you feel lost in a forest of trees with eyes and faces and arms and you wonder why you ever thought you could find your way out or change the world.
The darkness can be such a storyteller of lies.
The darkness can be such a sanctuary for the Teller of all the lies. 
And the darkness can be banished... just. like. that.
“Let there be light.”

God proved in the very beginning, before elephants and man and oceans and babies... He proved first that beyond creating, beyond teaching leaves …

Your Love is Fierce...

I was so angry. So painfully, gut-wrenchingly, angry.
I didn’t know that’s what it was.
January was exhausting, sickly, draining. It clipped fast on the heels of December and holidays and before I knew it, what should have been a day to celebrate my beautiful niece, was a reminder that she wasn’t here. And I was a mess all day. Cried about everything. I had a purple heart on the calendar and I was destroyed.
I went to choir practice the following Wednesday. I usually always want to go. This week, I didn’t. I felt shattered and exposed and I knew that any song, every song, would set me off. I knew I needed to go, something deep in my spirit knew, but I was so apprehensive. One chorus. One bridge. One well-meaning repeat and I would be undone. I had been breaking and re-breaking in a thousand different ways since October. I was falling apart in every direction.
I had to leave during practice once that night. Went into the ladies room and sobbed so loud, before I could stop myself. My grief …

{ IT'S YOUR BREATH IN OUR LUNGS }

I've been encouraged to write. Challenged. Read it on pages and in between lines. Heard it in a song. Write, write, write. The ones who know me so well... they tell me. "Where are you? Why aren't you doing this thing that you were given to do?" And... I don't know. I've got kids, man. I've got responsibilities and stuffed calendars and I just sometimes want to sit in my comfy pants and eat Starburst Jellybeans and binge on a favorite show. Sometimes... a lot of times... I think: what could I possibly have to offer? I can't even get caught up on laundry. I feel like I'm kind of a mess. There's not much inspirational about that.

But, I'll admit... when it's quiet? When I have space to hear the strum of my heart and the pounding of dreams racing through my head, like the agile feet of a runner, Reebok's smacking the asphalt? I feel it. I feel it right now. My spirit is knocking on a door I keep on locking up. Oh sure, pull the laptop o…