Skip to main content

Lookin' so crazy right now...


Okay, brace yourselves. This is not a baby post.

Now, I can't promise that it won't somehow turn into one, but right now, at the start, it has nothing to do with my current job of baking a baby, but has everything to do with, well, just baking. I know, I know. You're as shocked as I am. (Whether by the fact that I'm baking or simply by the fact that I'm not talking about my nearly 36 week pregnant state - we don't have to get into semantics. No need to split hairs.)

During this most recent festive Christmas season, my mother in-law presented some yummy oatmeal cookies for our consumption. Complete with cranberries and white chocolate chips, what's not to love? Plus, reaching for yet another cookie during a week-long+ disregard for any and all things "diet" related, having an ingredient like oatmeal tossed into the mix makes you feel decidedly in control and as though you're nearly (almost/maybe/kinda sorta?!) doing something good to yourself by having another... or five. And if you have milk? Well, my goodness, now you have calcium! In my thinking, it sounds awfully well-rounded and beneficial to me.

But one of the best things about these little pockets of deliciousness have nothing to do with what you throw in the mixing bowl, whether you use real or imitation vanilla extract or if you are a little more liberal with the cranberries (or the white chocolate chips). What really gets you is... the name. When my brother in-law and I requested a copy of the recipe, we guffawed at the title:

"Cranberry Hootycreeks"

I mean, seriously, if you have to bake or if you are already inclined to being in the kitchen, how much more delightful is it to present something with such a title to your friends and family?! Making a batch of hootycreeks sounds so much more of a blast than making plain ol' oatmeal or even chocolate chip cookies. It's kind of like when you make snickerdoodles. Oh, I know you love the cinnamon and sugary goodness, but seriously, admit it, you know you just love to say"Snickerdoodle! Give me another Snickerdoodle!" And now? Well, now you have "Hootycreeks". And you'll love the taste of them on your lips, either way.

I mean, just look at them:


Before I get side-tracked, here's the recipe (now you can't stay I never gave you anything!)

1 1/2 c. of flour + 2/3 c. (I know, it's weird... it's because this recipe was originally one of those "jar" recipes that you give as gifts. And I'm too lazy to mess with converting. If you want to move to the head of the class, go right ahead. And do share your findings.)
1 c. oatmeal
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2/3 c. brown sugar
2/3 c. sugar
1 c. dried cranberries
1 c. white chocolate chips

Mix up all of your dry ingredients. Then, in a microwaveable safe bowl, nuke two sticks of butter (1 c.) and then mix in 2 eggs and 2 tsp. of vanilla (and yes, I used the real stuff). Stir together and dump in with your dry mixture. And stir, again. Drop by spoonfuls and bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes (7 minutes on my stove is the number of perfection... go figure.)

And... voila! Hootycreeks! If I can do it, you can do it.

Now, another little jewel that I will share with you is this: parchment paper. Oh my holy lands. I have never used any of this product until today and let me tell you, my soul is too delighted for words. So is my cookie sheet that does not require scrubbing and scouring. And you know how inevitably you have those one or two obstinate cookies that fall by the wayside because they don't come off the pan or they decide to break into a million pieces before you can transfer them to the safety of waxed paper or a cooling rack? Maddening, I know.

But ease the furrow in your brow, my friends... because let me tell you the secret: parchment paper. Just scoot the entire sheet from your baking sheet to your counter and let cool. And magically it seems, you have attained cookie baking perfection. Trust me, it's worth the $3+ you will have to fork out for a box of the stuff. Besides, think of all the other things we throw out that really don't matter or are just wasteful... in light of that excess, parchment paper seems to be the least of about a thousand evils. And you get cookies out of the deal! Come on. This ain't no thinkin' thing.

Now... off with you! Shoo! Barefoot or not, pregnant or not, get thee to a kitchen!

Comments

  1. When mom and I do our mega-Christmas baking, we always use the parchment paper. Once the cookies are cool, you can slide them off and re-use it for as long as you're baking that day. (Or longer, I'm sure, but I've never been *that* determined to re-use parchment paper!)

    Thanks for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know why I've never used it or been told about it before! We have some friends who were like, 'Seriously, get some!' and I put it off, but now there is no going back!

    Enjoy! It's super easy and really yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "...having an ingredient like oatmeal tossed into the mix makes you feel decidedly in control and as though you're nearly (almost/maybe/kinda sorta?!) doing something good to yourself by having another... or five."

    This is exactly how I enjoy oatmeal cookies too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It only makes sense, doesn't it?! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved this post, so fun, so Laura! I can't wait to try these Hootycreeks, because you're right, with a name like how could I resists? Ah, and yes parchment paper, I too just discovered it this year when I was making peppermint bark..A must have!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are really yummy! I promise! :o) And yes, how can you not add "Hootycreeks" to your recipe book?! A must!

    And about the parchment paper.... *love*

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

{ I've Heard the Whisper ... }

Nobody likes to sit in the dark.
That’s what I tell him as I flip on the light so he can clearly see his granola bar, handful of Froot Loops and his Star Wars vitamins.
No one wants darkness.  It’s heavy and depressing.  Oppressing. It feels sneaky and devious. It can feel scary and hopeless.  It’s a wet blanket on the warm fire of a sun-filled day. It snuffs out all the hope and brilliance, ideas and dreams, that you had during the day. In the dark it all shifts. It all feels worn and tired, old and pointless; you feel lost in a forest of trees with eyes and faces and arms and you wonder why you ever thought you could find your way out or change the world.
The darkness can be such a storyteller of lies.
The darkness can be such a sanctuary for the Teller of all the lies. 
And the darkness can be banished... just. like. that.
“Let there be light.”

God proved in the very beginning, before elephants and man and oceans and babies... He proved first that beyond creating, beyond teaching leaves …

Your Love is Fierce...

I was so angry. So painfully, gut-wrenchingly, angry.
I didn’t know that’s what it was.
January was exhausting, sickly, draining. It clipped fast on the heels of December and holidays and before I knew it, what should have been a day to celebrate my beautiful niece, was a reminder that she wasn’t here. And I was a mess all day. Cried about everything. I had a purple heart on the calendar and I was destroyed.
I went to choir practice the following Wednesday. I usually always want to go. This week, I didn’t. I felt shattered and exposed and I knew that any song, every song, would set me off. I knew I needed to go, something deep in my spirit knew, but I was so apprehensive. One chorus. One bridge. One well-meaning repeat and I would be undone. I had been breaking and re-breaking in a thousand different ways since October. I was falling apart in every direction.
I had to leave during practice once that night. Went into the ladies room and sobbed so loud, before I could stop myself. My grief …

{ IT'S YOUR BREATH IN OUR LUNGS }

I've been encouraged to write. Challenged. Read it on pages and in between lines. Heard it in a song. Write, write, write. The ones who know me so well... they tell me. "Where are you? Why aren't you doing this thing that you were given to do?" And... I don't know. I've got kids, man. I've got responsibilities and stuffed calendars and I just sometimes want to sit in my comfy pants and eat Starburst Jellybeans and binge on a favorite show. Sometimes... a lot of times... I think: what could I possibly have to offer? I can't even get caught up on laundry. I feel like I'm kind of a mess. There's not much inspirational about that.

But, I'll admit... when it's quiet? When I have space to hear the strum of my heart and the pounding of dreams racing through my head, like the agile feet of a runner, Reebok's smacking the asphalt? I feel it. I feel it right now. My spirit is knocking on a door I keep on locking up. Oh sure, pull the laptop o…