Skip to main content

Something new...


In case you noticed my absence... I have a good (and super precious) reason for being away for the past 2+ weeks.

And his name is: Joel Ryan...

Born: 03.23.10 ~ 4:55 a.m.
7 lbs. ~ 19 inches


Oh my goodness... where do I even begin?!

Right now, he doses peacefully in his bouncy seat (every baby should come equipped with a bouncy seat, it's seriously that valuable) and I can't believe I'm his mother and he's my son. My boy. We are completely enamored with him. His little smiles (I don't care if you say it's gas, they are still cute!) completely melt me and I can't help but kiss his little legs and his getting-rounder-by-the-day tummy whenever I change him (which is like all the time). My husband and I frequently look at him and look at each other and say, "Can you believe he's here?! Can you believe he's ours?!" I don't know when it is going to sink in that we get to keep him forevers.

I frequently re-live (mentally) the night we had him. It was simply incredible. On Monday (the 22nd) I woke up after a post-lunch nap by an odd pain and I thought, "Was that a contraction?!" Twenty minutes later, the same thing. And as the evening progressed, so did the pains. I found an online contraction tracker and kept tabs on my progress. We watched "24" like we normally do and by then my contractions were anywhere from 3 to 5 minutes. And then off to the hospital we went. I got choked up as we set to leave and I grabbed the bag I had packed weeks earlier. And my husband gave me a reassuring hug when the tears burned my eyes. We were going to do this. Together.

I labored for a total of 16 hours. While it was the hardest thing I've ever done, going through it was completely exhilarating. My husband was completely amazing. He stood on his feet, holding my hand, nearly the entire time and I just felt like he was my life-line. Having a child together is just indescribable. The way it changes your relationship from that instance is just so hard to explain. Maybe someday in the near future when I have had more sleep I'll be able to adequately join thoughts and words.

I look at Joel and I can't believe God gave us this miracle. And not just him, but the awesome experience of his birth. Not only is it an amazing boost to me to know that I did it, but having my husband there, observing it all, has kind of made me feel like a total rock star in his eyes. I'll admit, that's a pretty awesome thing! My nurse and doctor were so affirming and the entire experience was such a blessing. And then when it was all said and done, we got to bring this little person home to our little house and our little life. It feels so.... big.

We're learning how to be parents and how to still be "us" even though our home dynamic has changed. It's funny how, when you first get married, you realize how it's not all about you. When we got married, I was amazed how many "little deaths" had to occur in my life. How much selfishness there was to eradicate from both of us. And we had our little newlywed tiffs that everyone laughs about as soon as the first year is behind you and you have figured life out a little more.

And then baby makes three and you realize how it's really, really not about you. If he needs fed, you go hungry. If he needs to be rocked back asleep, you stay awake. If he screams during your favorite TV show, well, you just miss out. And at first you may miss the lazy Sunday afternoons or the ability to shower on a regular basis... but eventually you adjust. You get a little extra sleep and you feel a little less freaked out and a little more adjusted to life plus baby. If you thought being a husband and a wife was amazing, wait until you're a husband and a wife and parents. It's so cool. But that should be expected... God is good like that.

Children are a blessing. A heritage. They don't destroy or mess up a love story. They just make it that much more beautiful...

"I was waiting for so long
For a miracle to come
Everyone told me to be strong
Hold on and don't shed a tear
Through the darkness and good times
I knew I'd make it through
And the world thought I had it all
But I was waiting for you
I see a light in the sky
Oh, it's almost blinding me
Where it was dark now there's light
Where there was pain now there's joy
Where there was weakness, I found my strength
All in the eyes of a boy..."
~ A New Day Has Come, Celine Dion

Comments

  1. Love it! I remember when we had our first little guy 11 years ago. And you know what? its just as amazing with each one after. The LORD is so wonderful. Children are a blessing and a heritage of the LORD.

    - Tara (marliah)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura, I know this love you have is undescribable, I remember it very well. It's like your life has just begun. Being a mother is such a wonderful experience but as a grandparent it is even more amazing in a different way. We have so much fun with our grandson Graham (Katrina's baby). Love your blog, keep it up. You are an inspiration to others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you captured this moment in time perfectly, and I love that our boys are one week apart. I looked at Collette today at the park and couldn't believe that Arthur will one day be 2 years old.

    I love you, girl.

    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, have you captured the moment perfectly! It made me remember mine like it was yestersday, the moment when you become more than yourself, but a mother : )
    Enjoy every sweet moment!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laura this post was so beautiful and there were tears in my eyes the entire time I read it! Joel is so blessed to been born in your home, to parents who will teach him about God.
    I missed reading your posts, and look forward to hearing more about your experiences being a mother, and wife!
    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. He's soooo cute. :) Congratulations! It's great to catch up on your life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much everyone! You all are so sweet to read and comment! I really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is the most beautiful birth account I've ever read!! Never read one that took this angle on giving birth. The exhilarating part of it. I particularly love the part where you explain you and your husband's realtionship going through labor! And Joel is just SO cute!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww, thank you so much (so sorry I am just now responding/seeing this comment! How terrible of me!) It truly was exhilarating and even now, a year later, it still feels that way. That moment is just like nothing else! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

{ I've Heard the Whisper ... }

Nobody likes to sit in the dark.
That’s what I tell him as I flip on the light so he can clearly see his granola bar, handful of Froot Loops and his Star Wars vitamins.
No one wants darkness.  It’s heavy and depressing.  Oppressing. It feels sneaky and devious. It can feel scary and hopeless.  It’s a wet blanket on the warm fire of a sun-filled day. It snuffs out all the hope and brilliance, ideas and dreams, that you had during the day. In the dark it all shifts. It all feels worn and tired, old and pointless; you feel lost in a forest of trees with eyes and faces and arms and you wonder why you ever thought you could find your way out or change the world.
The darkness can be such a storyteller of lies.
The darkness can be such a sanctuary for the Teller of all the lies. 
And the darkness can be banished... just. like. that.
“Let there be light.”

God proved in the very beginning, before elephants and man and oceans and babies... He proved first that beyond creating, beyond teaching leaves …

Your Love is Fierce...

I was so angry. So painfully, gut-wrenchingly, angry.
I didn’t know that’s what it was.
January was exhausting, sickly, draining. It clipped fast on the heels of December and holidays and before I knew it, what should have been a day to celebrate my beautiful niece, was a reminder that she wasn’t here. And I was a mess all day. Cried about everything. I had a purple heart on the calendar and I was destroyed.
I went to choir practice the following Wednesday. I usually always want to go. This week, I didn’t. I felt shattered and exposed and I knew that any song, every song, would set me off. I knew I needed to go, something deep in my spirit knew, but I was so apprehensive. One chorus. One bridge. One well-meaning repeat and I would be undone. I had been breaking and re-breaking in a thousand different ways since October. I was falling apart in every direction.
I had to leave during practice once that night. Went into the ladies room and sobbed so loud, before I could stop myself. My grief …

{ IT'S YOUR BREATH IN OUR LUNGS }

I've been encouraged to write. Challenged. Read it on pages and in between lines. Heard it in a song. Write, write, write. The ones who know me so well... they tell me. "Where are you? Why aren't you doing this thing that you were given to do?" And... I don't know. I've got kids, man. I've got responsibilities and stuffed calendars and I just sometimes want to sit in my comfy pants and eat Starburst Jellybeans and binge on a favorite show. Sometimes... a lot of times... I think: what could I possibly have to offer? I can't even get caught up on laundry. I feel like I'm kind of a mess. There's not much inspirational about that.

But, I'll admit... when it's quiet? When I have space to hear the strum of my heart and the pounding of dreams racing through my head, like the agile feet of a runner, Reebok's smacking the asphalt? I feel it. I feel it right now. My spirit is knocking on a door I keep on locking up. Oh sure, pull the laptop o…