Skip to main content

Something Learned

Today has been one of those days. Last night during small group (we are studying Philippians by Matt Chandler) and he said that there are highs and lows "... and sometimes there's just a Wednesday." That middle of the road, nothing special, everything blah: Wednesday.

Except it's Thursday. But it's a Wednesday.

My son learned to officially crawl yesterday. It was an awesome moment and (of course) I had the video camera at the ready. This morning he woke up with more momentum than before, as if he had been working out the kinks of the maneuver last night and was now raring to go. He's in the kitchen before I can blink, chewing on the area rug. He's in my book basket within two seconds of me moving him away from the book basket. He has my magazines in his mouth and recently wrapped Christmas presents crunching and tearing beneath his chubby paws.

I don't mind chasing him. I really don't. I'm happy to be at home with him and I'm excited to see him becoming such a big boy before my eyes. But even the good things can become hard things on Wednesdays. Or Thursdays. Mix in a baby who just discovered he can own his world a little more with every nudge of the knee with a Mom who is sick and hasn't been sleeping and who probably needs to sleep all day, along with a trip to Walmart, back strain and a Dad who won't be home until late. Oh, and despite the fact that baby is basically the Tasmanian Devil (but so much cuter and less annoying), he is also sick.... which means medicine and vapor treatments. Plus there's always the puke. Always.

It's not even 3 o'clock yet and I don't know whether to laugh ironically or burst into tears. ONLY 3 p.m.?! You mean the meal I just fed my son is not the last of the day? That I have one more time of highchair antics and medicine and vaporizing and then bathtime and more playtime, which will mean more puke time and then, finally, bedtime? I fear it will never come. And then feel slightly shamed for my whining, considering that little man is now playing contentedly on his blanket. What a little prince.

Before I sat down here I was fixing up a pan of enchiladas to freeze. I've never made a meal with the intent to freeze (i.e: plan ahead) in my life. No, seriously. I haven't. I have friends who cook and cook before their new baby arrives, for instance. Me? I mean, you're supposed to do that? Huh. Weird. I had my husband order pizza and we were lucky enough to receive some meals from sweet friends and family. Anyway, I figured I'd make a pan of enchiladas because we had the meat, it was going to go to waste and needed to be cooked up. We have lots of leftovers to eat up, so making a meal for us to eat right now didn't make sense. Freezing, for a first, did.

So I'm browning meat and baby is getting into things. So I'm stopping and moving and cleaning up messes on the carpet and going back to the meat. All the while my back is screaming at me every time I dare to move in any direction. Then it comes to putting the enchiladas together and cheese is everywhere and I keep dropping the meat on the counter instead of on the tortilla and I just wanted to bawl. You know, cry some of those big, fat, dumb tears because I'm spilling the milk and I haven't had a shower and I just want my back to stop hurting. And why does it hurt? Because I love my son and I was swinging him around wildly this morning. Smart.

And in the midst of a pretty involved pity party, I thought of our Small Group lesson from last night... of how Paul learned to be content in all of his crazy and various circumstances (he had way more lows than I ever have, that's for sure!). And I said aloud, "Could I learn to be content right now?" as I slopped more meat anywhere but on the tortilla. And I sarcastically said back to my self, "Yeah, sure, if I wanted to." And kind of smiled at my own nastiness to myself.

Could I learn to be content even if the day wasn't going as smoothly as I felt it needed to go? Could I be thankful for my baby and that his puking was just because he's a baby and not because of a serious illness? Could I learn to be content that hubby will be home later, but he will be home eventually. Could I find some sort of joy in the remainder of my day instead of thinking how great a good cry would feel? Could I be thankful for the extra meat we have that caused me to make a meal for a rainy day? I mean, how awesome that I actually have too much food. How awesome that I have a baby who is developing and can be under my feet in no time... and how fantastic is it that he wants to be there because of me? Me, who is standing above him all sighing and eye-rolling. Nice.

I just stopped to take some video of Joel playing with one of his toys. It's a little set of musical bongos that we bought for him when I was pregnant. He just figured out that if he keeps beating them, they will keep playing (that annoying) music. I had to smile. Could I learn to be content in my circumstances of a Wednesday on a Thursday?

Yeah,... I could if I wanted to.


"Not that I am speaking of being in need,
for I have l e a r n e d in
whatever situation I am to be content..."
~ Philippians 4:11

Comments

  1. Nice post, Laura-- by the way I like your new profile picture! (You may have put it up a while ago but it just caught my eye)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, thanks, Beth! (both for reading and for the picture comment!... and if it's any consolation, I changed it not that long ago, so you're off the hook.) ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

{ I've Heard the Whisper ... }

Nobody likes to sit in the dark.
That’s what I tell him as I flip on the light so he can clearly see his granola bar, handful of Froot Loops and his Star Wars vitamins.
No one wants darkness.  It’s heavy and depressing.  Oppressing. It feels sneaky and devious. It can feel scary and hopeless.  It’s a wet blanket on the warm fire of a sun-filled day. It snuffs out all the hope and brilliance, ideas and dreams, that you had during the day. In the dark it all shifts. It all feels worn and tired, old and pointless; you feel lost in a forest of trees with eyes and faces and arms and you wonder why you ever thought you could find your way out or change the world.
The darkness can be such a storyteller of lies.
The darkness can be such a sanctuary for the Teller of all the lies. 
And the darkness can be banished... just. like. that.
“Let there be light.”

God proved in the very beginning, before elephants and man and oceans and babies... He proved first that beyond creating, beyond teaching leaves …

Your Love is Fierce...

I was so angry. So painfully, gut-wrenchingly, angry.
I didn’t know that’s what it was.
January was exhausting, sickly, draining. It clipped fast on the heels of December and holidays and before I knew it, what should have been a day to celebrate my beautiful niece, was a reminder that she wasn’t here. And I was a mess all day. Cried about everything. I had a purple heart on the calendar and I was destroyed.
I went to choir practice the following Wednesday. I usually always want to go. This week, I didn’t. I felt shattered and exposed and I knew that any song, every song, would set me off. I knew I needed to go, something deep in my spirit knew, but I was so apprehensive. One chorus. One bridge. One well-meaning repeat and I would be undone. I had been breaking and re-breaking in a thousand different ways since October. I was falling apart in every direction.
I had to leave during practice once that night. Went into the ladies room and sobbed so loud, before I could stop myself. My grief …

{ IT'S YOUR BREATH IN OUR LUNGS }

I've been encouraged to write. Challenged. Read it on pages and in between lines. Heard it in a song. Write, write, write. The ones who know me so well... they tell me. "Where are you? Why aren't you doing this thing that you were given to do?" And... I don't know. I've got kids, man. I've got responsibilities and stuffed calendars and I just sometimes want to sit in my comfy pants and eat Starburst Jellybeans and binge on a favorite show. Sometimes... a lot of times... I think: what could I possibly have to offer? I can't even get caught up on laundry. I feel like I'm kind of a mess. There's not much inspirational about that.

But, I'll admit... when it's quiet? When I have space to hear the strum of my heart and the pounding of dreams racing through my head, like the agile feet of a runner, Reebok's smacking the asphalt? I feel it. I feel it right now. My spirit is knocking on a door I keep on locking up. Oh sure, pull the laptop o…