Skip to main content

Sonshine

On Saturday the sun came out of hiding. She burst through her sky's closeted doors of clouds and paraded around in her favorite dress, the one she had to pack away as Winter approached, the one she's been dreaming about twirling in ever since. The one she has been waiting to show off, because maybe, just maybe, you forgot how the colors swirl about her fiery ankles and cause you to dream, complete with full orchestra accompaniment.

This is what the sun does. It bursts through, it blinds,... it frees.

Thank, God for the sun.

My husband kept little man at home and I ventured out to do my own version of twirling. I drove with the windows down enough to feel the cool air and smell the warmth of Spring crawling back into the earth, back into Indiana, back into me. With my house only five minutes away, but feeling like years, I went shopping. Of course.

The store was unusually crowded with women touching brightly colored dresses, smoothing hands over flowing tops and feeling about thirteen taking in all the variations of pink, coral and blistering orange beaded jewelry. You could feel the heartbeats. I knew I wasn't the only one with flushed cheeks and the feeling of being human and vibrant, especially when I overheard one woman say to the clerk at the counter, commenting on how many people were buzzing about: "We needed this day."

I kind of felt like crying.

Because, I had needed that day. More than the outing by myself and the empty carseat in the back. More than spending a teensy weensy bit of my husband's hard-earned money. More than wearing "real" clothes and not spending another day at home in my stretchy pants. I needed the sun to come back. I needed her to grab my hand like an exuberant best friend who hadn't seen me since school got out and drag me head first to the swings and the merry-go-round and then would boisterously beg me to help her flag down the ice cream truck.

Today is a similar day and I'm enjoying a new Hyacinth scented candle, root beer, french fries and the cool air tickling my toes through the cracked patio door. I had been having a poor day, to put it in the nicest of terms. Poor mood, poor eating, poor time management, poor attitude... you get the idea. Baby boy and I loaded up and headed out to make good use of the coupons this mommy has been hoarding.

I am brought back to my elliptical workout on Sunday (do you like how I'm jumping from one day, to the next and then in between? Keeping up okay?) and I was thinking of that simple statement, "We needed this day." that has caught and held my attention for days since. We do need the sun.... we hear all the time now about how if you don't have enough Vitamin D you'll probably implode or something (I do realize it's a necessary vitamin, I'm just being a snarky writer at the moment).

But Sunday morning had dawned with little to no sun and I was stuck in my house, no worship at Church for this little family, since the littlest of us was sporting an awesome amount of nasal drainage. While Daddy slept in and baby took his first nap of the day, I cuddled up to the table with my Bible and journal and set to work on the most important thing that is most often neglected. And after an hour of reading, underlining and making notes in my journal, I felt my spirit lift and spark. And I thought, "I needed this day."

Speed up to my workout later that afternoon, since I was so restless that I had to do something. You know it's bad when you think spending time on a piece of fitness equipment sounds like "fun". And despite how much I love the sun and her wily ways... I love the Son, too. I know, I know... did you just cringe? I kind of did. There's been so many delineations between the sUn and the sOn.

But despite how quirky and slightly cliche it sounds.... think about it. What if we ached for the Son as we do the brightness in the sky? What if on those cloudy, blah days, we were want to reach for our Bibles instead of scanning the clouds with longing? Lines from a song by Michael Card ("The New Jerusalem") keeps ringing in my ears....

"There is no temple in this town
No sun, no moon, no lamp
For God's own glory is it's light
Illuminated by the Lamb."


My love affair with the sun and my feelings of desperation for Spring to arrive and never, ever leave, are starting to fade. I still can't wait until driving with my windows down is an every day thing and not something I do while also blasting the heat. But what about my love affair with the Son of God? Think about all the things that the sun is and then think of who the Son is. He is God's sun.... He is radiant, He is bold, He is overwhelming. While there is the flaming sun in our atmosphere, Jesus Christ is the flame within us. What the sun does to the sky, turning bleak days into perfect outings, shopping trips and picnics, the Son does within us.

The sun makes me feel all these things outwardly that affect the inner me. What does the Son of God do to me inwardly, that affects the outer me? Can you imagine a world with no sun.... no moon? As much as our days are currently ruled by them, it will not always be that way. Why should my spirit - which is of God - be turned upside down and back again, based on the weather? Even if the sun is not out, the Son is still in.

I understand that the sunlight is necessary and wanted. I'm just beginning to wonder, though, if we are giving the wrong sun (Son) the majority of the power. What sways our moods when it's gloomy out.... do we swing down because the sun is not to be found or swing away because the Son can always be found?

Anyway, just thought I'd share while I sip my root beer, sniff my awesome new candle and thank God for the sun in the sky.... and for the Son that lived, loved and died for me. Just so I could one day shine with Him, for Him, in the new kingdom where we won't want for anything as lackluster and puny as the sun in the sky.


"I did not see a temple in the city,
because the Lord God Almighty
and the Lamb
are its temple. The city does not need the sun or the
moon to shine on it, for the glory of
God gives it light, and the Lamb is its lamp.
The nations will walk by its light, and the kings of the earth
will bring their splendor into it.
On no day will its gates ever be shut,
for there will be no night there. The glory and honor of the
nations will be brought into it. Nothing impure
will ever enter it, nor will anyone who does
what is shameful or deceitful,
but only those whose names are
written in the Lamb’s book of life."
~ Revelation 21:22-27


Comments

  1. This is FANTASTIC! I've been having similar thoughts lately about the sun and the Son, and feeling cheesy for making the connections even in my head. :) But it's true!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Brenda!!! I felt a little cheesy about writing about this but I couldn't help it! I had to get it out of my head before it clawed its way out. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

{ I've Heard the Whisper ... }

Nobody likes to sit in the dark.
That’s what I tell him as I flip on the light so he can clearly see his granola bar, handful of Froot Loops and his Star Wars vitamins.
No one wants darkness.  It’s heavy and depressing.  Oppressing. It feels sneaky and devious. It can feel scary and hopeless.  It’s a wet blanket on the warm fire of a sun-filled day. It snuffs out all the hope and brilliance, ideas and dreams, that you had during the day. In the dark it all shifts. It all feels worn and tired, old and pointless; you feel lost in a forest of trees with eyes and faces and arms and you wonder why you ever thought you could find your way out or change the world.
The darkness can be such a storyteller of lies.
The darkness can be such a sanctuary for the Teller of all the lies. 
And the darkness can be banished... just. like. that.
“Let there be light.”

God proved in the very beginning, before elephants and man and oceans and babies... He proved first that beyond creating, beyond teaching leaves …

Your Love is Fierce...

I was so angry. So painfully, gut-wrenchingly, angry.
I didn’t know that’s what it was.
January was exhausting, sickly, draining. It clipped fast on the heels of December and holidays and before I knew it, what should have been a day to celebrate my beautiful niece, was a reminder that she wasn’t here. And I was a mess all day. Cried about everything. I had a purple heart on the calendar and I was destroyed.
I went to choir practice the following Wednesday. I usually always want to go. This week, I didn’t. I felt shattered and exposed and I knew that any song, every song, would set me off. I knew I needed to go, something deep in my spirit knew, but I was so apprehensive. One chorus. One bridge. One well-meaning repeat and I would be undone. I had been breaking and re-breaking in a thousand different ways since October. I was falling apart in every direction.
I had to leave during practice once that night. Went into the ladies room and sobbed so loud, before I could stop myself. My grief …

{ IT'S YOUR BREATH IN OUR LUNGS }

I've been encouraged to write. Challenged. Read it on pages and in between lines. Heard it in a song. Write, write, write. The ones who know me so well... they tell me. "Where are you? Why aren't you doing this thing that you were given to do?" And... I don't know. I've got kids, man. I've got responsibilities and stuffed calendars and I just sometimes want to sit in my comfy pants and eat Starburst Jellybeans and binge on a favorite show. Sometimes... a lot of times... I think: what could I possibly have to offer? I can't even get caught up on laundry. I feel like I'm kind of a mess. There's not much inspirational about that.

But, I'll admit... when it's quiet? When I have space to hear the strum of my heart and the pounding of dreams racing through my head, like the agile feet of a runner, Reebok's smacking the asphalt? I feel it. I feel it right now. My spirit is knocking on a door I keep on locking up. Oh sure, pull the laptop o…