Skip to main content

By and By

I like it... how good God is at the stories. I like how I don't feel foolish with my little lessons, because He taught of how to be a good neighbor and how to return to the arms of God in those little stories. He showed us what He really meant by talking about a sower and a handful of seeds.

Sometimes I think Satan likes us to lessen the lessons, to feel silly about the small notes we feel God is leaving behind for us, because he doesn't want those stories told. He wants our day to day living to be tangled up with impatience and red lights, with bills and people who need us that we resent. He doesn't want us to sit at the Lord's feet and learn and listen. To recognize lessons in life... to recognize that Jesus is in this life. It's not just a Sunday morning, listen to your preacher kind of thing. We honor God by paying attention. He's in it all.

"You have to want to see the well
before you can drink from it.
You have to want to see joy,
God in the moment."
~ A n n V o s k a m p


A day or so ago, I believe it was Saturday morning, I felt desperate for my coffee. Not in a wake me up kind of way, but just that routine. Just that comfort in beginning another day when things are maybe not exactly how I would have dreamt them up to be. I would have written the story differently. I spooned out the instant coffee into my favorite mug, filled with clear tap water and microwaved for 1 minute and 20 seconds. I swished my favorite Belgian Toffee Nut creamer within the bottle and once the coffee was the perfect temperature, I plopped a dollop of creamer in.

I felt time slow and I watched as the cream cooled and swirled into the darkness, changing it forever. It was still coffee, but it was changed. It was drinkable, now. I can't drink my coffee black, no way, no how, but add some sugar to lighten the load and it's tolerable. It's strangely comforting. The bitterness gives way to something I end up giving thanks for.

We all have cups of brew that we would rather not have to drink. If it were up to us, we would push far that mug of abandonment and divorce, that mug of infertility and miscarriage, that china cup of cancer, that ceramic handled mug of tumors the size of small fruits in the small brains of children. We would do away with it all. We would never make that. We would never drink that. We would throw it out before it could stain the rim.

When we say that God gives all things... that He is all knowing, all controlling, all seeing eye on us and within... what does it mean that we are doing when we grimace and push back the bitter gall and say, "No thank you. This is not what I asked for." God is not Starbucks. He doesn't give us a Venti just because we want it. Sometimes things aren't made to order. But we get to choose how we respond. And how we respond is vital to how we live in communion with God.

At any time, if He wants, He can take that warmed glass from our hands and dump it down the drain. But if He doesn't... if He doesn't... what do we do with that? When children stomp and throw tantrums in the toy aisles, do they end up getting what they want? Don't we tell them they are being selfish, ungrateful;... brats. Our complaints against God's will for us are blasphemies. Our refusal to trust, to give thanks, to believe in the promises... it makes us blasphemers. When we do that, we are giving power back to Satan and saying that we believe in the power of his darkness. That we believe he's stronger after all.

"It is suffering that has the realest
possibility to bear down
and deliver grace."
~ A n n V o s k a m p

Even Jesus knew what it was like to be handed a cup that was hard to swallow. Even Jesus knelt and prayed and cried for it to be dumped down the drain. Taken away. But even in His desires to not have to go through what He knew was ahead, He submitted. He trusted and brought it to His lips: "... And going a little farther, he fell on the ground and prayed that, if it were possible, the hour might pass from him. And he said, 'Abba, Father, all things are possible for you. Remove this cup from me. Yet not what I will, but what you will." (Matthew 14:35-36, ESV)

The more bitter the brew, the harder to swallow. The more strong the aftertaste. But strong coffee is strong for a reason. It has the most power to shake us awake, to animate the blood. Sometimes things have to be swallowed down so that we can go forward. There is joy in that. I feel God sweetens circumstances for us with His presence and His Word. With His people to comfort and encourage. He hasn't left us alone, to sit in a dark corner and drink in the hard.

Whether we see the sugar swirl in the midst of the dark velvet is up to us. We choose what we see and how we respond to it. We can take what we are handed, give thanks, trust that He knows what will best suit our tongues, our hearts. We can risk having that story, that meeting, that parable of our own, with Almighty God. As believers, we have hope and we have assurance. We have the comfort of our Savior. He hasn't left us to swallow it down alone. He doesn't leave us when the results come in or when the diagnosis stops our breath or when the dreams just don't happen.

But He has everything. And that means we have more than all we need.

"You may suffer loss but in Me
is anything ever lost, really?
Isn't everything that belongs to Christ
also yours? Loved ones lost
still belong to Him -
then aren't they still yours?
Do I not own the cattle on a thousand hills;
e v e r y t h i n g?
Aren't then all provisions, in Christ
also yours? If you haven't lost Christ,
child, nothing is ever lost.
Remember, 'through many tribulations
we must enter the
kingdom of God.' (Acts 14:22)."
~ A n n V o s k a m p

Comments

  1. I love this topic. I'll be honest, this is what I struggle with the most. There were a string of random tragedies in my young adult life that made me feel as if there were no God. Only in the past few years have I been reconnecting with God and trying to really understand it all. I would love to read more of your thoughts on this topic : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing, Chrissy and for being honest about having some things in life that are hard to reconcile! Some of us have more of that than others! And I'll see what kind of future posts I can come up with! LOVE YOU, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow Laura! Thank you!! I needed this today. I've been staring at a rather chipped mug these days wishing it to become china, and thinking nothing that tastes good could come out of something so broken. thank you for reminding me to look for the sugar. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww! I'm so glad that it spoke to you! *hugs* And you know, the way things seem to go... the way God seems to be... you'll probably stare at that chipped mug long enough and hold it in your hands enough that eventually, you might just look back and kind of love it. Or at least be able to give thanks for it. Hope you are doing well!!!!! <3 Thank you for reading and commenting! *smile*

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

{ I've Heard the Whisper ... }

Nobody likes to sit in the dark.
That’s what I tell him as I flip on the light so he can clearly see his granola bar, handful of Froot Loops and his Star Wars vitamins.
No one wants darkness.  It’s heavy and depressing.  Oppressing. It feels sneaky and devious. It can feel scary and hopeless.  It’s a wet blanket on the warm fire of a sun-filled day. It snuffs out all the hope and brilliance, ideas and dreams, that you had during the day. In the dark it all shifts. It all feels worn and tired, old and pointless; you feel lost in a forest of trees with eyes and faces and arms and you wonder why you ever thought you could find your way out or change the world.
The darkness can be such a storyteller of lies.
The darkness can be such a sanctuary for the Teller of all the lies. 
And the darkness can be banished... just. like. that.
“Let there be light.”

God proved in the very beginning, before elephants and man and oceans and babies... He proved first that beyond creating, beyond teaching leaves …

Tale as old as time: a different sort of review...

Is there any more beautiful notes than the first few tones of the dramatic prologue to Beauty and the Beast? When Disney released its animated version in 1991, my little ten year old heart was completely enraptured. Enchanted. I am never not moved by the overview of the roses, the squinting through brambles to see the castle aching and looming large against the sky.

Last night I swung by RedBox and picked up the newest version, since I'm like the only person on the planet who hasn't seen it, yet. I was ready for some uninterrupted girl time - just me and my mini Ben & Jerry's. I couldn't get the kids to bed fast enough (which is ironic, because I allowed them to stay up later than normal - the things we do as mothers that never make sense to anyone). I had my evening planned out and suddenly I had unending patience and energy. Funny how self-care works.

I settled deeper into my couch, held the ice cream close and got ready for an evening free of thinking and lists …

Your Love is Fierce...

I was so angry. So painfully, gut-wrenchingly, angry.
I didn’t know that’s what it was.
January was exhausting, sickly, draining. It clipped fast on the heels of December and holidays and before I knew it, what should have been a day to celebrate my beautiful niece, was a reminder that she wasn’t here. And I was a mess all day. Cried about everything. I had a purple heart on the calendar and I was destroyed.
I went to choir practice the following Wednesday. I usually always want to go. This week, I didn’t. I felt shattered and exposed and I knew that any song, every song, would set me off. I knew I needed to go, something deep in my spirit knew, but I was so apprehensive. One chorus. One bridge. One well-meaning repeat and I would be undone. I had been breaking and re-breaking in a thousand different ways since October. I was falling apart in every direction.
I had to leave during practice once that night. Went into the ladies room and sobbed so loud, before I could stop myself. My grief …