Skip to main content

Here Comes the Dirty Sun

Did I mention I'm pregnant?

Because I am. Almost into the 2nd Trimester and doing great! We're very excited and this past week I got to see our little peanut and my heart thrilled. Baby. Little profile, flailing hands, perfect design. I'm going to be a mother of two. That's exciting and scary. When I think of the harder days, those early months when everything is chaos and nothing makes sense and you fear a routine will never enter your life until the kids are out of the house... then it can seem overwhelming and you get those, "What are we thinking?" thoughts. At a recent health screening I had the nurse tell me, "Wow, you're a glutton for punishment!" when I told her I had a 19 month old son at home.

I think I'm blessed. That's what I think I am.

I'm going to be really honest and I'll probably step on some toes and that's okay. But... and here I take a deep breath... but mom's can be really, really prideful. I'm including myself on this one, before you start sending hate-mail my way. I have seen and have experienced how easy it is to fall into the trap of, "Oh, we're a minority and no one understands how hard life is at home with kids." Really? Do we really think no one gets it?

What about our grandmothers? Or our own mothers? Some may have stayed home full-time while others split the responsibilities of a job outside and within the home. We're all busy. We're all trying to do the best we can. We all want to be patted on the back for a job well done. We all want to know that we haven't been forgotten or overlooked. But most of all? Most of all I think we want people to tell us what awesome little martyrs we're being. That's where the pride comes in. That, "No one sees all I do!" mentality or "My husband just doesn't get why I'm tired at the end of the day!" I bet he does, honey. Do you get why he's tired at the end of the day?

On a good day, mothering is still tough. It's still a job. But what we do at home and what our husbands do at work all day all come together to form the life of a family. Some women complain their husbands don't "pull their weight" around the house. Do you pull your weight around his job? Do you take time to do filing for him or make calls or appointments? It sounds ridiculous, but for many of us, I think we think that way. That they should do their job and they should come home and help us with ours.

I see so many blogs that are focused on encouraging the tired mother. And I get that. I really, really do. I've been downright exhausted for the past three months. I don't think I cooked more than one real meal in the previous twelve weeks (thank God for the most patient husband on the face of the earth). It's felt like too much.... the dusting, the laundry that just kept piling up (clean! But still piled!)... it was overwhelming. But sometimes I forget how overwhelmed I felt when I worked in an office. Sometimes I forget how brain dead I felt by 2 p.m..... pretty much like I do now. Work is work. I don't remember reading blogs for the tired office managers and secretaries and professionals.

I think we need to get away from focusing on how hard mothering is and instead be encouraged by how special it is that we get to stay home. Yes, it's still work and yes we want everyone to know we didn't just take the easy way out. I don't think many think that. And those that do, well, they can think what they want. It doesn't have to affect you or how you view your self worth. But we need to, as my Mom has said many times, "Get off the cross. Someone needs the wood."

It is a privilege to get to spend so much one-on-one time with the children we make with our husbands. It is an honor to have delicious meals on the table or fresh bread in the oven. And I know I have been guilty of complaining about "never having any time". Sister, that's a downright lie. You cannot tell me that you never, ever have time. Because I see your blogs. I see you on Facebook. I buy things from your home-based business. We have time to meet with friends (granted, typically with babies in tow, but that's part of being a mother!) and we get Starbucks. We have lunches out and time to workout and read and have devotions.

We may not have all the time we would want to spend in certain areas. A fifteen minute workout may be all you can get in because you have to make sure you have time to shower and get dressed before the baby wakes up. You may need to lower your expectations. But there is no reason why you should "lose yourself". There is no reason to become resentful of one of those best, best, best eras of your life.

We need to be honest with ourselves and others. I know we don't want to be failures at home. I know we want to do a really good job and have our house humming and our children taught well. I know so well that feeling when you want people to recognize how much you sacrifice to do your job well. But for those who do their job well, there is always sacrifice. For political leaders and soldiers, doctors, nurses, pastors, missionaries... to do anything well, it's going to have the difficult days. That's just a given. We need to stop acting so surprised that something worth doing and worth doing well is going to wear us down sometimes. And we need to stop wanting so badly to be validated by the world. When has that ever really helped anyone?

The truth is, it doesn't matter if people see all you do. We were never meant to do our work with someone else in mind. Unless that Someone else happens to be an Almighty God. All of our tasks point back to Him and we should be grateful for the work we have been given. Whether we sit at a desk all day or we sit indian-style on the floor playing with trucks and puzzles. We need to stop the pity parties. We need to stop the gossip in our mom groups. We need to stop tearing down our husbands or expecting them to award us with medals every day of the week because we did loads of laundry, kept dishes clean and the kids alive for one more week.

Being a servant of God's means that your focus is not on, ultimately, serving anyone on this earth (Galatians 1:10). And sometimes we forget, because we're so focused on keeping things sanitary and picked up and ensuring our kids don't have a steady diet of Fruit Loops. The way we keep our eyes on God is by being thankful. Not by being stuck in the moment or focused on how hard it is to be a stay-at-home-mom. We open the windows to fresh air and mercy when we are thankful for all God has given.

And we will become increasingly thankful and joyful for and in the work He has given us to do when we get back to the basics of what we're really supposed to be doing: serving Him. Get your eyes off of your own reflection and get back to the real work that you've been given. The work that you have been perfectly cut out and equipped for. You are not alone, forgotten or unseen.

God has always known exactly what path He wanted your feet on.


"Servants, do what you're told
by your earthly masters.
And don't just do the minimum
that will get you by.
Do your best. Work from
the heart for your real Master,
for God, confident that you'll
get paid in full when you
come into your inheritance.
Keep in mind always
that the ultimate Master
you're serving is Christ.
The sullen servant
who does shoddy work
will be held responsible.
Being a follower of Jesus
doesn't cover up bad work.
~ C o l o s s i a n s 3 : 2 3 , T h e M e s s a g e

Comments

  1. Congrats on your second pregnancy!! So exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Beth!!! We're pretty pumped!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'But there is no reason why you should "lose yourself". There is no reason to become resentful of one of those best, best, best eras of your life.'

    Love it. Thanks for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also love this. :) I love the part about there being difficult days when it comes to doing anything well. So true!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rachael ~ Thank you so much for reading and commenting! *hugs*

    Jamie ~ I loved that part too (haha). No, but seriously, as I was writing it was like, right there, between my eyes. xoxo

    Jessica ~ THANKS! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved this Laura! Your writing is so honest and tangible, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much, Chrissy!!!!! I try!!! :)

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. such wise and truthful words : )

    its like christmas everytime I get to read your posts! I always feel enlightened, hopeful, encouraged...and grateful to be lucky enough to know you and read your words.

    I don't think I could ever thank you enough for sharing!

    -Jodi

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jodi! YOU ARE TOO SWEET! (And such a good encourager! I feel all full of glee, now! HA!) Thank you so much for reading, but most of all just for being so incredibly positive about the little things I spew about. *smile* xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. As an older mom who blogs to encourage younger moms, and give them tips, etc., to help them, I found this extremely good. I will share it with the Moms' Group I lead, maybe post on it and link back......
    in other words, I really agreed with you! Most of the young moms I know are very grateful, cheerful moms, loving to be home, but for those moments that we all have, I'll share this with them:)
    Thanks,
    Wendy Gunn
    Faith's Firm Foundation
    www.wendygunn.net

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wendy ~ Wow, thank you so much! What a compliment! And I'm with you - I know many moms (most!) who are grateful, cheerful and love being at home serving their families - but it's easy for us to all get in this mindset when we spend lots of time within our own thoughts (and maybe with little people who aren't the best conversationalists!) I appreciate your reading, commenting and sharing!

    Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

{ I've Heard the Whisper ... }

Nobody likes to sit in the dark.
That’s what I tell him as I flip on the light so he can clearly see his granola bar, handful of Froot Loops and his Star Wars vitamins.
No one wants darkness.  It’s heavy and depressing.  Oppressing. It feels sneaky and devious. It can feel scary and hopeless.  It’s a wet blanket on the warm fire of a sun-filled day. It snuffs out all the hope and brilliance, ideas and dreams, that you had during the day. In the dark it all shifts. It all feels worn and tired, old and pointless; you feel lost in a forest of trees with eyes and faces and arms and you wonder why you ever thought you could find your way out or change the world.
The darkness can be such a storyteller of lies.
The darkness can be such a sanctuary for the Teller of all the lies. 
And the darkness can be banished... just. like. that.
“Let there be light.”

God proved in the very beginning, before elephants and man and oceans and babies... He proved first that beyond creating, beyond teaching leaves …

Tale as old as time: a different sort of review...

Is there any more beautiful notes than the first few tones of the dramatic prologue to Beauty and the Beast? When Disney released its animated version in 1991, my little ten year old heart was completely enraptured. Enchanted. I am never not moved by the overview of the roses, the squinting through brambles to see the castle aching and looming large against the sky.

Last night I swung by RedBox and picked up the newest version, since I'm like the only person on the planet who hasn't seen it, yet. I was ready for some uninterrupted girl time - just me and my mini Ben & Jerry's. I couldn't get the kids to bed fast enough (which is ironic, because I allowed them to stay up later than normal - the things we do as mothers that never make sense to anyone). I had my evening planned out and suddenly I had unending patience and energy. Funny how self-care works.

I settled deeper into my couch, held the ice cream close and got ready for an evening free of thinking and lists …

Your Love is Fierce...

I was so angry. So painfully, gut-wrenchingly, angry.
I didn’t know that’s what it was.
January was exhausting, sickly, draining. It clipped fast on the heels of December and holidays and before I knew it, what should have been a day to celebrate my beautiful niece, was a reminder that she wasn’t here. And I was a mess all day. Cried about everything. I had a purple heart on the calendar and I was destroyed.
I went to choir practice the following Wednesday. I usually always want to go. This week, I didn’t. I felt shattered and exposed and I knew that any song, every song, would set me off. I knew I needed to go, something deep in my spirit knew, but I was so apprehensive. One chorus. One bridge. One well-meaning repeat and I would be undone. I had been breaking and re-breaking in a thousand different ways since October. I was falling apart in every direction.
I had to leave during practice once that night. Went into the ladies room and sobbed so loud, before I could stop myself. My grief …