Skip to main content

A big basket...

March is, basically, over.

I keep looking at the calendar and thinking, for one, that there are not that many weeks left between tomorrow and my slated due date (which, for the record, I don't think baby will hit. I'm pretty sure he's going to be an early bird). I'm going on 35 weeks, now.

Secondly, when I look at the calendar, I see lines through every week of this month, marking how often and how long my husband has been gone. He's busy learning the ropes of his new job and I'm doing my best to be grateful, optimistic and happy at home, day in, day out, with an active toddler and a surprisingly all-hours-of-the-day (and night) active unborn child.

I am tired. I won't say I'm not. I'm soaking up Joel's nap time right now like it's a lifeline. I think I think that the more I sleep when I can, the less likely I'll turn into a freak of nature once this baby arrives and changes life as we know it. The crazy that accompanies bringing a new life home is unavoidable. I'd just like to not be a total disaster if at all possible. Trust me, you don't want to see me that sleep deprived. It's scary.

Oh yeah, and of course we'll be moving soon after. Change, change. Turn, turn.

A few days ago, I had a serious, serious pit day. It didn't start out that way. I didn't wake up intending to twirl a bad attitude around my finger, reminding me constantly of all the things that were hard and unsavory right now. I didn't intend to feel isolated and lonely on a gorgeous, sunny day. But that's what happened. Combined with a poor night of sleep (told you, fatigue is a bad, bad thing) and just plain weariness over not having my husband home... not to mention just the wear and tear it takes on a body to create a body... I was over that day before that day had even begun.

And when Joel threw a tantrum because his Crayons wouldn't lay "just so" in the box and proceeded to pitch a hissy fit, I tried, at first, to console and reason and eventually I turned away and left him to cope with his color dissatisfaction... and I cried. I sat on the floor with my two-year-old, stared out the open deck door and just cried. It was 9 a.m. and the day stretched before us, not with possibility and opportunity, but just plain old hours. So many until bedtime would return. And no relief, no break, no hug, no consolation, no one else to depend on in sight.

I shot a desperate email off to my best friend, because as a stay-at-home-mom, if I didn't have access to the internet I would turn so many different shades of crazy that you would all stand in line to form an intervention proceeding. I wrote massive, rambling, poor-grammatically-formed paragraphs and added a desperate, "Pray for me over there!" plea to the closing before I almost angrily punched "send". There. Someone else in the world knew.

An hour or more later, my phone buzzes with a text. I actually thought it might be her, telling me she got my email and she loves me and is praying for me. What I didn't expect was to see that yes, it was her, but she wasn't just giving me a faraway virtual pat on the head. She told me that she and her little girl were on their way to see me and to hang out with us for a few hours. And she was bringing me Starbucks (can you believe I live in an area where a Starbucks is nowhere in sight?!) I will also add that she lives a good 2+ hours away. I stood at my kitchen counter and bawled my eyes out.

It was an ugly cry.

It was a relieved cry.

It was an, "I can't believe I am so loved." cry.

And as I felt my heart lift and hope stir around, I was reminded of what I had read in my Bible earlier. About how our names are written on God's palms... how He doesn't forget us. He doesn't get too busy. He doesn't fail to recognize when we're worn thin. And it's so beautiful when a simple human relationship between girlfriends reflects God's heart. That a human relationship points our eyes back to the Creator of friendship and the need for connecting and caring and standing in the gap for one another.

It makes me think how important we are to each other. How valuable and precious friendships are. How valuable taking advantage of those moments are. How sending a card is never a bad idea. That if all you can do is send an email or a Facebook message, then you do that. You ask how people really are and you really bite your tongue until they fully answer and dump it all in front of you and wait for you to tell them that something in that is still beautiful and worthy. We need each other. We need each other so much.

I think it's just beautiful all the unique ways that God finds to meet our needs.

Only God can use a simple but deeply rooted friendship and an emotionally charged bad morning to remind us... to remind me... that He sees. That when I feel forgotten and on my own and just can't take another waddling step - that He's still there, willing and able to meet my needs in ways that will have me hunched over and crying my eyes red with gratitude. I'm so thankful for the deep, deep love of my friends.

And in giving thanks, my eyes are pushed higher and I find myself so humbled and so thankful that God loves me just that much.

It is not because God isn't big enough that we need community. He knows our frames and it's because of His love that we love. That we want to give and meet needs and have needs met and be given back to in return. We were built for relationship. We were built for relationship with God and that love, that communion with Him, overflows into our interactions with one another. Jamie loves me so much that she didn't even finish reading my email before she shut things down, grabbed the diaper bag and her adorable toddler and hit the road. But it's because she loves God that she loves me that much in the first place.

We love because He loves. Because He first loved... I am so thankful to have been so specifically and carefully and thoughtfully reminded.


"Earthly love... is temporal and slight
so that it has to be given again
and again in order for us
to feel any sense of security;
but God's love, God's voice and presence,
would instill our souls with such
affirmation we would need nothing
more and would cause us
to love other people
so much we would be
willing to die for them..."
~ Donald Miller, "Searching for God Knows What"

Comments

  1. *blush* I love this and I LOVE that you put "Jamie did it because she loves God and loves me." It's true! Your friendship is a gift from Him, and I'd be remiss not to care for it as such. *hugs* Beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you so much. And so thankful that on that day when I needed God "to have skin on" you were there with a hug - and Starbucks! Very, very thankful for how God blesses and uses our friendship! So thankful! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful!!! I am so thankful to have a "Jamie" in my life...well, a few of them. One is actually Jaime, my sister, and another is the very first friend I ever made. She moved away in elementary school, but God, always brings her back to me : ) Good Stuff Laura & Jamie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. so you maybe made me cry...thanks. i can relate--NOT to the children thing haha, but certainly to the God using friends when we are at the end of our ropes. He is so faithful, and He does not ever forget us!! can you please post again? so people not on facebook know how life is? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chrissy ~ It's such a huge blessing to have some people in our lives that love us just that much! I can't imagine not having my amazing friends! I've been so blessed! <3

    Damaris ~ Aww! :) It's so true - God knows what we need and provides it for us - and sometimes it's in the form of a very good friend! And you're right - He never, ever forgets us!!!! I do need to post again, don't I? Maybe I will in the near future - just for you! <3

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

{ I've Heard the Whisper ... }

Nobody likes to sit in the dark.
That’s what I tell him as I flip on the light so he can clearly see his granola bar, handful of Froot Loops and his Star Wars vitamins.
No one wants darkness.  It’s heavy and depressing.  Oppressing. It feels sneaky and devious. It can feel scary and hopeless.  It’s a wet blanket on the warm fire of a sun-filled day. It snuffs out all the hope and brilliance, ideas and dreams, that you had during the day. In the dark it all shifts. It all feels worn and tired, old and pointless; you feel lost in a forest of trees with eyes and faces and arms and you wonder why you ever thought you could find your way out or change the world.
The darkness can be such a storyteller of lies.
The darkness can be such a sanctuary for the Teller of all the lies. 
And the darkness can be banished... just. like. that.
“Let there be light.”

God proved in the very beginning, before elephants and man and oceans and babies... He proved first that beyond creating, beyond teaching leaves …

Your Love is Fierce...

I was so angry. So painfully, gut-wrenchingly, angry.
I didn’t know that’s what it was.
January was exhausting, sickly, draining. It clipped fast on the heels of December and holidays and before I knew it, what should have been a day to celebrate my beautiful niece, was a reminder that she wasn’t here. And I was a mess all day. Cried about everything. I had a purple heart on the calendar and I was destroyed.
I went to choir practice the following Wednesday. I usually always want to go. This week, I didn’t. I felt shattered and exposed and I knew that any song, every song, would set me off. I knew I needed to go, something deep in my spirit knew, but I was so apprehensive. One chorus. One bridge. One well-meaning repeat and I would be undone. I had been breaking and re-breaking in a thousand different ways since October. I was falling apart in every direction.
I had to leave during practice once that night. Went into the ladies room and sobbed so loud, before I could stop myself. My grief …

{ IT'S YOUR BREATH IN OUR LUNGS }

I've been encouraged to write. Challenged. Read it on pages and in between lines. Heard it in a song. Write, write, write. The ones who know me so well... they tell me. "Where are you? Why aren't you doing this thing that you were given to do?" And... I don't know. I've got kids, man. I've got responsibilities and stuffed calendars and I just sometimes want to sit in my comfy pants and eat Starburst Jellybeans and binge on a favorite show. Sometimes... a lot of times... I think: what could I possibly have to offer? I can't even get caught up on laundry. I feel like I'm kind of a mess. There's not much inspirational about that.

But, I'll admit... when it's quiet? When I have space to hear the strum of my heart and the pounding of dreams racing through my head, like the agile feet of a runner, Reebok's smacking the asphalt? I feel it. I feel it right now. My spirit is knocking on a door I keep on locking up. Oh sure, pull the laptop o…