Skip to main content

In the light of Your glory...

Sunday morning!  I wake eight minutes before my alarm.  I immediately start dry-heaving.

I slide air in and out and notice how my stuffed nose has eased.  The night before I had gone to bed so miserable that I could barely talk or breathe or think, let alone sing.  I took meds and went to bed early and prayed for a miracle.  And it's morning, and it's the day.  The week has evaporated and I'm stunned and voice scratchy.  How can I sing in three hours?

It feels amazing.  It feels horrifying.  And it is.

I drink coffee and sing along to the same songs I've been singing all week, preparing my heart.  Singing about who do I really have to fear?  And how God finds me right where I am.  And how my heart may be racing and pounding and shaking loose of its cage, but God rights it, steadies the beats.  I sing soft, don't wake the rest of the house.  I sing soft, can't believe I am going through with this.  I sing soft, can't believe I get this chance.

On impulse before heading out the door, I grab a Sharpie and curve letters onto my wrist:  Awake.

Inspired by the passage in Ezekiel that speak of the valley of dry bones and the beautiful, life-giving, breath of God, I whisper air in and out.  The strains of Chris Tomlin's beautifully powerful song, "Awake, My Soul" rattle through my memory.  I've sang it a million times.  I swear my heart was singing it before I even knew it.

Even though I don't rap, my heart pounds out Lecrae's recitation of the age-old scripture, "Come from the four winds, oh breath, and breathe!"  Every time I hear that portion of the song, I imagine God saying, "Charge it to three hundred!" and shocking us to life.  To action.  Breathe!

Breath!  Darn you, don't you dare give up!  Don't go out like this!

I looked at my wrist over and over, each time before I got on stage, reminding myself that God was awakening my soul.  That this was right.  Breathe!  In.  And out.  That's all I had to do.

Prayers ran fast on the short drive to church.  I prayed for peace.  I prayed to not have a heart attack.  I prayed for control over my emotions, because I was brimming.  I prayed for grace, because I knew very well that I was human and faulty and there is no perfection in me.  And perfection is a lie.  I tried to sing, to warm up, and I just really couldn't.  All I could do was breathe.  And literally two seconds before I wheeled my husband's truck into the parking lot, two geese fly overhead; over me, over the church.  I grinned, mad.

I wasn't flying solo. 

The message was loud and clear.  This wasn't something I was doing.  This was something I was getting to do with God... but it wasn't just me up there doing my thing.  This was God doing something in and through and with me.  It was something to take part in.  Not something to own. I felt the nerves fade and I jumped from the truck with joy and courage and God on my side.

And all I kept thinking is how I read once that the devil flees at the sound of a hymn.  That was my comfort every time as I opened my mouth to sing (my church currently has four services).  I knew that when I was singing about God's great name, His glory, His love, His ability to silence our fears and the voices raging for attention in our heads... that there was absolutely no room, and it was no place, for Satan.  There would be no way for him to be heard or to not be driven out at the name of Jesus.  I had nothing to fear.  No shame would come.

It was the most free I think I have ever felt in my life.

And now?  Now there's absolutely no going back.

And I'm so glad.



"I'm gonna move this mountain,
then I'm gonna move you in.
You were on My shoulders, 
now you're standing on the edge.
You've been looking 
for a sign all this time.
If you seek, you'll find Me every time.
This is your new song."
~ Brandon Heath, Comfortable


________________________________________________
I heard this song for the first time last night on the way 
home from yet another choir practice.  Amazing.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

{ I've Heard the Whisper ... }

Nobody likes to sit in the dark.
That’s what I tell him as I flip on the light so he can clearly see his granola bar, handful of Froot Loops and his Star Wars vitamins.
No one wants darkness.  It’s heavy and depressing.  Oppressing. It feels sneaky and devious. It can feel scary and hopeless.  It’s a wet blanket on the warm fire of a sun-filled day. It snuffs out all the hope and brilliance, ideas and dreams, that you had during the day. In the dark it all shifts. It all feels worn and tired, old and pointless; you feel lost in a forest of trees with eyes and faces and arms and you wonder why you ever thought you could find your way out or change the world.
The darkness can be such a storyteller of lies.
The darkness can be such a sanctuary for the Teller of all the lies. 
And the darkness can be banished... just. like. that.
“Let there be light.”

God proved in the very beginning, before elephants and man and oceans and babies... He proved first that beyond creating, beyond teaching leaves …

Tale as old as time: a different sort of review...

Is there any more beautiful notes than the first few tones of the dramatic prologue to Beauty and the Beast? When Disney released its animated version in 1991, my little ten year old heart was completely enraptured. Enchanted. I am never not moved by the overview of the roses, the squinting through brambles to see the castle aching and looming large against the sky.

Last night I swung by RedBox and picked up the newest version, since I'm like the only person on the planet who hasn't seen it, yet. I was ready for some uninterrupted girl time - just me and my mini Ben & Jerry's. I couldn't get the kids to bed fast enough (which is ironic, because I allowed them to stay up later than normal - the things we do as mothers that never make sense to anyone). I had my evening planned out and suddenly I had unending patience and energy. Funny how self-care works.

I settled deeper into my couch, held the ice cream close and got ready for an evening free of thinking and lists …

Your Love is Fierce...

I was so angry. So painfully, gut-wrenchingly, angry.
I didn’t know that’s what it was.
January was exhausting, sickly, draining. It clipped fast on the heels of December and holidays and before I knew it, what should have been a day to celebrate my beautiful niece, was a reminder that she wasn’t here. And I was a mess all day. Cried about everything. I had a purple heart on the calendar and I was destroyed.
I went to choir practice the following Wednesday. I usually always want to go. This week, I didn’t. I felt shattered and exposed and I knew that any song, every song, would set me off. I knew I needed to go, something deep in my spirit knew, but I was so apprehensive. One chorus. One bridge. One well-meaning repeat and I would be undone. I had been breaking and re-breaking in a thousand different ways since October. I was falling apart in every direction.
I had to leave during practice once that night. Went into the ladies room and sobbed so loud, before I could stop myself. My grief …